During a stay in the territory of the United States of America, Kosovo citizens may confront various problems of different natures. Citizens can present these problems and seek advice about how to deal with them by addressing the General Consulate in New York.
Assistance provided to Kosovo citizens in the USA may include:
- Assistance to Kosovo citizens in emergency cases;
- Assistance to Kosovo citizens that are in prison, or those who face legal difficulties in the United States;
- Assistance for returning Kosovo citizens who have died in the USA and securing the protection of their property.
The Consulate can offer assistance to Kosovo citizens only when it is verified that those citizen that are in need for consular assistance, are not also American citizens. Offering assistance in emergencies, such as natural disasters or events of high risk, extends to other family members who enjoy American citizenship.
In the event of arrest, detention or opening of investigation by authorities of the USA, Kosovo citizens have the right to inform the Consulate General of the Republic of Kosovo in New York and to seek help which can consist of:
- Informing family members for the arrest;
- Addressing to a defense lawyer, or
- Request for intervention to domestic authorities if human rights violations are observed.